Sunday, May 9, 2010

Second Semester

OK

So, it’s been such a long time, and I really do apologize. So much has happened, and I have fallen so far behind, so I’ll do my best to catch you up with everything, and give you short tidbits of my second semester!


Yerucham:

My love for this small town only continues to grow. I love interacting with the locals (my Hebrew is the strongest it’s ever been!) I love living in a community where people welcome you into their house and feed you and more. It’s amazing


Work: MDA

So, as I write this, I’m relaxing in the Magen David Adom station. For the previous 5 shifts I have worked, there have been 0 calls, COMBINED! So although it’s a good thing, I haven’t seen much action. Today, I worked on Shabbat with Yanai, and we got a call to Dimona, the next closest town, where a 27 year old was playing soccer and broke his ankle. It was notably bent in a horrible direction, but Asher (the patient) was incredibly cool and collected. He laughed at himself, told funny jokes and was really cool, ALL in the ambulance. When we dropped him off at the hospital, I told him that he was very strong, and it if was me in his spot, I would be crying. He laughed and wished me luck with the rest of my time here! Totally awesome.


Work: Gan

So, I know I started out really unhappy with the gan, but it turned out to be one of the greatest parts of Nativ. I loved the kids, and I had an amazing time working there. Thursday was my last day, and the kids went around the room, one by one and said something to me and gave me a hug. Needless to say, I started to cry and I know that the relationship with the kids has changed my life!


Pesach:

Probably one of my favorite holidays to be in Israel for. I went to Caesarea for the Seder and spent some time with Eli, Amit, Lisa and Moshe, which was a blast! I then went to Jerusalem for a couple of days, where I ate out in restaurants and did other things that I wouldn’t dream of in the states. At the end, I went back to Yerucham, and spent time my host family, with the highlight being eating cow brains with Tyler! ITS SOO GOOD!


Yom Hazikaron:

Israel’s Memorial Day. Except it is way different than you would think. Since there is mandatory service when you graduate high school, everybody in the country can relate to what is happening. We went to Har Herzl, the military cemetery for the ceremony, and it was incredibly emotional and you could feel the sadness. After the official ceremony, we went back to Beit Nativ, and heard Michael Levin’s Parents speak. Michael Levin, a personal hero of mine, was a person who was active in USY, went to a Ramah Summer Camp, went on Nativ, and then joined the Army. In the 2006 Lebanon War, he was killed in action, and his story became known through the country. It was incredible hearing his parents speak for over 2 hours, and really touching. At the end of the day, when the sun set, the mood changed from incredible sad to incredibly happy… why? Because of….


Yom Ha’Atzmaut

Israel’s Independence Day. The mood changes completely! Everyone starts to celebrate and dance in the streets! We stayed out until 4 AM, dancing and partying with everyone! The next day we had a huge Mangal, or BBQ, and it was such a fun day!


So, I’ll be home in 16 days, and its really sad! In the next two weeks, I’ll be traveling on a Northern Tiyul, packing to come home =(, and spending the final way in Jerusalem…


So, sorry this is short, but I hope you enjoyed it!

GO BLACKHAWKS

Seth!

Here are some links to some pictures!

More Yerucham Pictures

Pesach, Random and Yom Ha'Atzmaut

No comments:

Post a Comment