Sunday, October 18, 2009

Allergies: The Fun Killer

As stated in my previous blog post, I was supposed to go up north to the Kineret to go camping with a bunch of people, but Wednesday night, something funny happened to me.

I was lying in bed, and I started to get really itchy. I passed it off as nothing, and continued to ignore it. Later that night, I took off my shirt to change and I noticed that I was really red, and blotchy. I had no idea what it was from, but it was for sure an allergic reaction to something. I called mom, freaking out, giving her my best description of what it looked like. Apparently, I didn’t explain how massive it was, because I took a picture of it and sent it to her. Her reaction kinda freaked me out, as she told me that it was worse than she expected...

So I covered my body with hydrocortisone cream and took a benedryl, and fell asleep shortly thereafter. I thought I was in the clear.

The next morning I woke up, and it was all clear, so I felt good! I went about my day as normal, and was having a great day, passing my MDA exam! I updated my blog, and almost immediately after, I started to break out in the same exact thing that happened to me the night before. Again, I did the same exact thing (cortisone and benedryl) and crashed again. However, I woke up in the middle of the night, itching and scratching. My arms were now breaking out too!

So I woke up the next morning at 7 and went to the doctor with 2 other people. The doctor drew blood and took a chest X-Ray (not sure why) and gave me 3 different prescriptions to help with the breaking out. I got back to base, and I figured that with everything going on with my body, now was not the time for me to be going out into the wilderness and “roughing it”. So I regretfully informed the people in my group that I wasn’t going to be going with them and that I was going to stay at base for Shabbat and sleep.

Which is exactly what I did. It was incredibly relaxing and I caught back up on my sleep! I have felt great and haven’t broken out in rashes or anything since my doctor’s visit! I heard that the group had an incredible time, and spent the majority of the time swimming in the Kinneret. I am sad that I missed it, but glad that I am feeling better!

Today was the first day of the Hebrew University semester, but since I don’t have any classes on Sunday, I had the day off! I went to Ben Yehuda and got some school supplies for tomorrow! I am really excited!

Tonight, we have another couple of games for the NBA, so I am going to go and get ready!

I’ll let you know how the first day of classes go!

No comments:

Post a Comment